Monday, November 5, 2012

Meme

This weekend was bitter-sweet.  Todd's sweet Meme (grandmother) went home to heaven on Friday night after 85 joy-filled years.  This woman was remarkable I tell you.  I've never met an 85 year old who still would try to blow her own leaves from her yard, drive to the country and be-bop around town. 

Eloise Ozburn Riner was loved by many and gave her family and friends more love and memories than could fill an ocean.  I am honored to have known her, loved her and be loved by her for the past 6 years. 

While there have been many tears, they are tears of fondness and great memories.  We celebrate her life and rejoice that she is now in heaven and reunited with her best friend, Duke, the love of her life. 

Meme was:
1.  A Child of the depression- She is as resourceful as they come.  If there is a coupon she'll clip it, if she can reuse something she will.  Oh!- for heaven's sake never buy anything full price.  That little thing will go on clearance at some point. 

2.  Loyal Braves Fan- The Atlanta Braves hung the moon and she may very well be one of the most dedicated fans I've ever met.  The woman stayed up till midnight watching each braves game.  Don't bother calling her during a game- she won't pick up. 

3.  From Scratch Kind of Cook- The woman can make a mean blueberry or apple cinnamon muffin.  She baked these all the time for us and we ate them till our bellies hurt. 

4.  Always up for a party if there was food :)- If you ask her over for dinner she'll be the first one at your door.  If you have left-overs don't worry, she likely has her to-go box ready for you. 

5.  A Family Woman- She would do anything for her family.  During the past months she talked to us often about how her Daddy never wanted his children to be in want or to go without.  Not that things had to be lavish but he wanted his children to be fed, clothed, loved and to enjoy life.  Meme carried on this "motto" and her every action echoed her commitment to family.

6.  Meme when we think of you and miss you we will look around and see your hand print everywhere:

I see it on your daughter, my mother-in-law and her spunky , go-get 'em attitude and care for each of us.  I see it in her love for going to the country to find fresh apples, peaches and vegetables.  Your country roots still live on in her.  She loves to gather family around the table often as you did.  She too is resourceful and is not afraid to venture out and explore. 

I see it in your grandson who carries on your commitment to put God and family above all else.  I see it in how he saves and lives within his means and always take care of others.  I see it in his joy for life and all that each day will bring.  He perseveres and works hard because you instilled in all of us the value of hard work. 

When Emory is born we hope that he/she will have much of you and your daddy, Emory, in them.  We promise to read Emory "All About Me" and explain where their name came from and how deep the love is that runs through this family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment